Post study work visa UK latest news

Post study work visa UK latest news includes an extension of 6 months for students at select universities.

According to UKCISA,

“As part of a Tier 4 pilot scheme, Master’s graduates of some universities (Bath, Cambridge, Imperial College London and Oxford) will be granted six months’ leave after their course has ended in order to give them slightly longer than other graduates to seek work, usually under Tier 2, should they wish to stay.” – August 2016

As a result, a rise in student applications to Bath, Cambridge, Imperial College London and Oxford is expected.

Super priority visa pilot scheme

Also, according to Pie News, Chinese students can obtain a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK within 24 hours, due to the launch of a new 10-week “super priority” visa pilot scheme.

In the three major cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, students can upgrade to a super priority appointment.

It is not cheap, however, and will cost an additional £750.


What does this mean for you as an international student?

For some international students like you, working in the UK after graduating is your dream. Having work experience in the UK can really help you stand out in the global jobs market and you can gain great skills, experience and cultural knowledge.

5 top reasons to work in the UK:

  • It looks great on your CV
  • A good base to travel, Europe is on your doorstep
  • Make lifelong friends
  • Master the English language and culture
  • Opportunity to become a British citizen in future

So many students like you are keen to stay and work here. But it isn’t so easy.

You really should start researching and applying to jobs early and make sure you know the different visa options out there.

Stay up to date with post study work visa UK latest news.

For advice on working visas, writing your CV and finding a job, you should get in touch with us early. Book a free career consultation with one of our coaching team today.

Post study work visa UK latest news and options:

Tier 2 (General) Visa

  • You can switch from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2 (General) visa in the UK.
  • For this visa you must have a job offer from an employer with a Tier 2 sponsor licence. Click here for the list of registered sponsors.
  • The employer issues a Confirmation of Sponsorship (CoS) to support your application.
  • The job must be a graduate level job (NQF Level 6+)
  • The salary must be £20,800 or more per year, though certain professions require higher minimum salaries
  • It is not always clear whether an employer can sponsor you so check the list of sponsors, or contact the Human Resources department and ask before you spend time writing your job application. resources department and enquire before you proceed with an application.

Useful website: UKCISA

Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Visa

Some of our international students successfully find work in the UK using this indirect route. The intra-company transfer visa is for employees based outside the UK working for a multi-national company. The visa can last up to 9 years.

Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme) Visa:

Available to PhD students only, in order to apply for this visa, you must:

  • Have a valid a Tier 4 (General) visa or a Student visa at the time of application
  • Be studying a PhD or other doctorate level qualification
  • Apply before completing your course (expected submission date of the final version of your thesis)
  • Apply within 60 days before you submit your hardbound thesis
  • Meet the financial requirement (maintenance)
  • Apply from inside the UK

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa

  • If you are a graduating student on a Tier 4 visa and you have a hope to start a business in the UK, the University may be able to endorse your application for a Tier 1 visa.
  • This visa is for 12 months and can be extended by a further 12 months, after which you may be able to switch to a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) or Tier 2 (General) visa.
  • You must meet financial maintenance requirements: bank statement showing £945 for 90 days

Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)

  • The Tier 5 (GAE) scheme is designed to enable applicants to gain work experience, conduct research, or take a training position for 12/24 months.
  • This route may be suitable for you if you are seeking an internship position (work experience)
  • Work experience under Tier 5 (GAE) is limited to 12 months.
  • The employer is not permitted to offer you employment following the internship / work placement. It is a condition of the visa that you leave the UK at the end of the visa period.
  • Unlike Tier 2, the employer is not the immigration sponsor, instead the employer must register with an overarching body (a government authorised scheme) that provides the sponsorship certificate to support your visa application.

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) Visa

This is a 2 year working visa for applicants aged 18-30 with one of these nationalities: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Monaco, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and British Overseas Citizens/Nationals.

It must be applied for from your home country and cannot be extended.


Tier 2 – Most Common Visa Route

Currently the most common visa option for international students who want to work in the UK is the Employer sponsored visa Tier 2.

Most students will have immigration permission which extends for up to four months after you have completed your studies. This means you do not have time to waste when it comes to searching for a graduate job!

Keep up to date with all post study work visa UK latest news by signing up to our newsletter, or visit UKCISA.


Useful video from The University of Manchester – “Working in the UK – Work visas for international students.”

We can fast track your progress, get you from job searching to a job offer quicker than doing it on your own. Fill out our form below for a free careers consultation.

Instant Download

How to Write Successful Job Applications

12 page step by step guide on how to write successful job applications

Ebook Image